Eco-friendly packing tips for moving abroad
Get Your Free Estimate
"*" indicates required fields
Moving abroad can be a fresh new start for so many people. If you want to learn how to have an eco-friendly move, you are in the right place. By using eco-friendly packing tips for moving abroad, you can reduce waste and protect the environment when moving. You can also save money by using items you already have instead of buying new materials. Swapping out traditional materials like bubble wrap and plastic bags for eco-friendly alternatives is an easy way to make your move more sustainable. One of the best ways to do this is to hire the best movers in Sudbury that are eco-friendly and care about the planet.
Try some of the eco-friendly packing tips for moving abroad
Every year relocations around the world produce more and more waste. This happens for many reasons, as people use single-use materials, don’t know how many materials to buy, and do not have experience in packing. However, there are ways to avoid it. Using some of the eco-friendly packing tips when moving abroad, you can make your waste lower. It can also help to hire residential movers Sudbury ON, so that they can take over. They have much more experience packing and will use fewer materials. Whether you are having a DIY move or using professionals, be sure to leave enough time for packing. This is a process that takes a lot of time. You can use the following tips before your international move.
Declutter your home to lower the number of things to pack
Before you start packing, take some time to declutter your home. Go through your belongings and get rid of anything that you no longer need or use. This is a great way to minimize the items you need to pack and use fewer packing materials. It is also very refreshing to get rid of things you don’t use or want anymore. Especially since moving to a new country, you might not want everything, and it can make your move easier. Also, it’s less expensive.
Use eco-friendly packing materials
Using eco-friendly packing materials is a great way to reduce waste and protect the environment when moving abroad. Here are some examples of eco-friendly materials you can use and how to use them:
- Recycled paper; Recycled paper is an excellent alternative to bubble wrap. You can crumple up pieces of paper and use them to cushion fragile items like dishes and glasses. You can also wrap items in sheets of paper to protect them from scratches and dents.
- Biodegradable packing peanuts; Biodegradable packing peanuts are made from plant-based materials and are designed to break down naturally in the environment. They are a great alternative to traditional Styrofoam packing peanuts, which are not biodegradable. You can use biodegradable packing peanuts to fill empty spaces in boxes and protect fragile items.
- Towels and blankets; Towels and blankets are great for wrapping fragile items like mirrors and picture frames. You can use them to protect the glass and the frame from scratches and dents. You can also use them to cushion items like lamps and vases.
- Clothing; Clothing is another great material for wrapping fragile items. You can use socks to protect glasses and stemware, and you can wrap dishes and other items in t-shirts or other soft clothing.
- Reusable plastic containers; Instead of buying new cardboard boxes, consider using reusable plastic containers. These containers can be used again and again, and they are much more durable than cardboard boxes. You can also rent containers from some moving companies.
- Beeswax wraps; Beeswax wraps are a great alternative to plastic wrap. They are made from cotton cloth coated in beeswax, which makes them reusable and biodegradable. You can use them to wrap food, like sandwiches and snacks, and to cover bowls and dishes.
- Glass jars; Instead of buying new plastic containers for pantry items like spices and snacks, consider using glass jars. You can reuse jars from sauces, pickles, and other food items. They are durable, easy to clean, and will keep your food fresh.
- Reusable bags; When packing items like clothes and linens, use reusable bags instead of plastic bags. You can use cloth bags or bags made from recycled materials. These bags are durable and can be used again and again.
Try to pack your belongings as efficiently as possible. This means using every inch of space in your boxes and avoiding empty spaces. Use small items to fill in gaps in boxes and wrap larger items tightly to save space. Packing efficiently can help you prevent damage to your items, as well as make you use fewer containers. No matter what you are doing, be sure to protect the items correctly before packing them into a box.
Choose an eco-friendly moving company
If you decide to use a professional packing and moving service, look for a company committed to sustainability. Some companies use hybrid trucks or electric vehicles, or they might use biodegradable fuel in their trucks. There are commercial movers in Sudbury who will offer recycling services for packing materials or using reusable plastic bins. Hiring professionals will make it easier for you to pack and also focus on finishing whatever you need. Moving to a new country comes with a lot of legal tasks as well, so why not use your time preparing for that?
Additional eco-friendly things to do during a move
While saving on packing materials is great, there are more things you can keep an eye on. During and especially after your move, you can make a switch to a sustainable lifestyle. If you want, you can use the following tips to help the environment further while preparing for your move.
Donate unneeded items
Instead of throwing away items that you don’t need, consider donating them to a local charity. This can help you reduce waste and support a good cause at the same time.
Use eco-friendly cleaning products
Use eco-friendly cleaning products when you clean your home before moving out. This will help reduce the number of toxic chemicals that are released into the environment.
Recycle packing materials
After you unpack your belongings, don’t throw away your packing materials. Instead, recycle them or find another use for them. You can use packing paper for crafts or donate packing peanuts to a local shipping store.
Once you know eco-friendly packing tips for moving abroad, you can minimize your waste
With these eco-friendly packing tips for moving abroad, you can minimize the waste you leave behind. While it can take some more preparation, you can do a good thing for the environment. By using eco-friendly packing materials and avoiding single-use plastics, you can reduce waste and protect the environment when moving abroad. From recycled paper to reusable bags, there are many alternatives to traditional materials that are both sustainable and cost-effective. Packing your whole home doesn’t have to be the task you stress about at all. Simply contact international movers Sudbury ON and have them organize it. There is no more reason to dread your relocation; with the right plan and the right help, it will be easy!
Hired to move my parents. Asked for 2 movers (3 showed up!) and all were friendly, polite, and incredibly hard working. Very careful with fragile items and more then competent with big, heavy furniture.